Thursday, April 22, 2010

Diaper Cake


I finished the diaper cake and I'm really happy with the outcome. I have to say, it cost WAY more than I expected but it's so cute! I bought a bunch of stuff that I really didn't need for the cake that I thought I would so I think there will be some returns - but I hate returning stuff so maybe I'll just give mom-to-be the extras and be done with it.


I read quite a few blogs about how to make these cakes - some people make them by rolling the diapers and using elastics to hold each individual one but I don't really like that look. I did the one I made in what is referred to as "boutique" look. I rented a cake pan from the Bulk Barn and used it as a template. Then, I fanned as many diapers as I could fit into it and positioned them until they looked good. Then, I took a big elastic and put it over the whole lot and then inverted the cake pan onto the cake round that I bought. The second layer was done with a smaller pan and the top layer, I just did by hand to make it small enough - though you could rent a pan that small if you want. I was just too cheap to put a $20 deposit on each pan. LOL! I bought the beautiful wired ribbon at Costco - as I mentioned in my last post. inside each of the rounds of diapers, I rolled up onesies, etc....the biggest layer has a whole sleeper rolled and shoved in the middle. I used baby spoons instead of dowels...though I think I might need one dowel through the whole thing to make it sturdier. The top top is baby sock rose buds....that's what took the longest - with a pair of pink booties on the top. I haven't figured out how to anchor the booties on yet. I'll pull the whole thing together with cellophane and ribbon on Saturday before I leave for the shower. I hope she likes it.


If you are looking for instructions on how to make these cakes - just google "diaper cakes" - there are tonnes of ideas! Hope you liked mine and thanks again for stopping for a visit!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Fabulous! Totally Love it. I love handmade projects whether its crafts, food, and anything else!

www.livingonhomemade.com

Erin said...

This is great! What a fantastic idea for a show gift!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com